Wednesday 11 January 2012

A Time To Dance

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven  Ecclesiastes 3:1


Do I believe this statement?  I was recently chatting to a friend about this.  I have been spending a lot of time in thought about time - and I realize the irony as I write that. Time seems to be such a precious commodity, and the world seems to be living at an accelerated pace of life, where time dictates much and drives us at an impossible pace.  I find myself longing to simplify and with that, wanting more than anything to focus on this time and just one moment I have, instead of spiralling in to this afternoon, this evening, tomorrow, next week.  Always driven by an impossible to do list, fretful as I don't have enough time for it all.  But I've felt drawn to question that too. I do, in fact, have enough time.  I just should be more considerate about what I'm doing with it.  Where am I investing my time? Who gets my time? Does my family get my time? Do I spend it in spiritual contemplation of the eternal? Should I be walking in the fields with daisies or cleaning the floor?  Is there time to read an extra chapter of that book to my children or am I speeding up bedtime to check my email, clean the counters, make lunches for the next day?  What in essence are my priorities? There really is a time for all these things, but I must guard about spending too much time doing one thing at the expense of another. I need to find balance. 



This comes after a hard year.  2011 was exceptionally tough for me on many levels, and though nothing circumstantially has changed, something in me has changed. I have been drawn to this passage of scripture over and over again.  As I read all of Ecclesiastes 3, I sense that there is much I have missed in 2011.  There is a season for everything, and if everything has a season, how much of 2011 did I spend broken hearted and broken spirited, really believing that because I'm in a season of trial that only the worst is happening. It doesn't mean it is all bad because it feels all bad.  Did I give myself permission to live it all or just feel the bad during this harder year?  If I believe there is a time for everything, I must believe there is a time and season for trial, and it may be that mine must continue a while longer. But I know that as surely as there is a time to be born and a time to die, my time to dance is coming.  There's more to this journey, but for now I'm cranking the volume and dancing anyway. 




No comments:

Post a Comment